Thursday, February 28, 2008

your thumb on the blade, and strike upwards

Only a dead man could convince me to take another serious gander at Christianity, and it isn't Jesus Christ. His name is G.K. Chesterton and if I could kill him a second time for that final page of The Man Who Was Thursday, I would.

I've begun reading Orthodoxy in order to gain some insight into the religion that so enamored someone who seems to have been a(n otherwise) highly intelligent human being and inspired what has quickly become my favorite book of all time.

On the other hand, ol' G.K. didn't have to contend with the horrifying spectacles of today, which I admit have me disenchanted with and rather frightened by the faith (generally speaking) in which I was raised:



...which at least has spawned some amusing lolcats:


What strikes my interest is that according to Wiki, the older versions of the Apostles' Creed describe Jesus as having first descended into hell post-crucifixion before pulling his resurrection trick. More interesting yet is that despite my Catholic upbringing, I was never taught these hellbits; there was no descending to anywhere. Jesus just popped right back up out of the ground -- "like DAISIES!" Hm. Curious.

No comments: